You ever have one of those days where Everything Sucks?
I sure do.
And I usually seize those days in a bad, bad way. I swear too much, I snap at my kids, I roll my eyes at my husband and it’s all just very “poor, poor, me.”
I get mad that I’m the only one who does the dishes and feeds the dog and I’m already trying to make lunch and a small person needs their butt wiped but I’m crabby so that small person tries do it themselves and now the situation is just completely out of hand and do I finish handling the food first or go take care of the Poop Problem and oh, look, it’s raining on the dry clothes that are hanging out on the line.
I’m certainly not proud of myself.
Awareness is the first step, right? I’m learning that we don’t need to sacrifice these days on the altar of negativity. They can be redeemed! Turned right around! There are lots of ways to do it.
A good blogger would have come up with a very specific and metric-driven number of ways to turn a bad day around, but I can see myself adding to this list in the future and I don’t want to make a new graphic for Pinterest every single time, so we’ll just put these all into a bunch.
Some of them are cliches, but that’s because they work.
- Straighten up. Sure, it doesn’t sound very fun, but you’ll feel better and thing more clearly with less clutter.
- Diffuse essential oils that help mellow anxiety.
- Look at the humor section on Pinterest.
- Or maybe the quotes section if that’s more your cup of tea.
- Call a loved one you haven’t talked to in awhile and catch up.
- Tell someone what you appreciate about them.
- Put on a nice outfit, fix your hair, and put on some makeup if you wear it. Feeling cute is nice.
- Get outside. If weather permits, head out to your yard or to a park to read or just sit.
- Think about how far you’ve come. How have you learned and grown in the last year? 5 years?
- Read articles on something you’ve been wanting to learn more about. Redirect your negative energy into learning something new and enriching your life.
- Practice gratitude. Perspectacles-style.
- Turn on your favorite song and dance. Do it again. and again.
- Write down everything that’s bothering you. Don’t self-edit – just dump it all out on a page. Go back and cross out the things that aren’t really a big deal. What’s left? Can you change it? Can you let it go?
- Help someone. Bake cookies for someone. Send an encouraging email. Bring coffee to a friend who’s busy at work. Anything.
- Finish a task that’s nagging at you. Just jump right in and get it done.
- Think about the last GREAT day you had. Take yourself back there and just play it out in your mind for a few minutes. Appreciate it.
- Cry. If you have a good cry coming, don’t hold it in. Just let it out. Then wash your face, drink a glass of water, and take a nap.
- Don’t compare. Don’t look at your social media feeds right now. If anything, look at your own page. I try to make a habit of only posting positive things on social media (I’m not a master of this or anything by any means.) and when I’m in a funk it’s nice to be able to look back on those things and see others’ encouraging comments.
And always remember:
What would you add to this list? Leave a comment and I’ll keep adding to this post. (Unless things get really out of control. YOU KNOW.)