How To Make Your Own Face Serum With Oils That Are Right For Your Skin

I always used to be afraid of putting oil on my skin. As someone who’s suffered from acne for around a decade, I’ve tried a lot of stuff to get rid of it. And I learned that oil-based serums are actually wonderful for all types of skin ailments, including acne.

Make your own skin serum with oils that are right for your skin.

Oils protect our skin. It’s important to keep it clean, of course, but don’t feel like you need to scrub your face till it’s tight and keep it as dry as possible to avoid breakouts. In fact, that really does much more harm than good. Face oils & serums are a wonderful way to cleanse, heal, moisturize and protect your skin.

Best of all, making facial serum is really easy! All you need is a carrier oil (or oils!) and essential oils (or oil!) of your choice. I’ve written about the properties of different carrier oils before as well as a few essential oils, but I’ll summarize a bit!

First, choose your carrier oil. The oil you use will depend on your skin type and what you’re going for. You can also blend as many carrier oils as you want as the base for your serum! There are so many to choose from, but here are my favorites:

Properties of Carrier Oils

Grapeseed Oil: A very light, nongreasy oil that absorbs easily. It’s odorless, making it great for blending with essential oils. It’s slightly astringent, meaning that it helps tighten and tone skin. Suitable for all skin types.

Sweet Almond Oil: Helps relieve itching, soreness and dryness. Because it is very lubricating but doesn’t absorb easily, it’s excellent in massage blends. Good for all skin types. Don’t use it if you have nut allergies!
Aloe Vera Oil: Penetrates the skin deeply and promotes cell repair. It’s also a natural anesthetic and can reduce swelling, so it’s good for treating small wounds.
Jojoba Oil: Penetrates deeply. Excellent for nourishing skin and healing inflammations and eczema.

Rose Hip Oil: Very moisturizing. Also contains healing compounds which make it valuable in treating scars, minor wounds, burns and eczema.

Avocado Oil: Perfect for dry and aging skin. It’s super hydrating and contains all kinds of yummy fatty acids and minerals to repair damaged skin. Sun damaged skin seems to react well to avocado oil too.

Jojoba Oil: Jojoba is actually a liquid wax. It forms a super protective barrier on the skin so icky environmental crap like smoke and toxins have a harder time getting to your sweet skin. Inner-city chicks, take note! It’s really amazing for ALL skin types and issues, so if you’re not sure where to start, go with jojoba oil for your carrier.

Sesame Oil: It has oil-pulling properties so I love it for broken out skin. It’s also wonderful for soothing irritated, inflamed skin. If you’re struggling with acne, sesame oil is where it’s at.
There are so many others, but these are the ones I love best. You can experiment with blending more than one oil if you think your skin would like it – mine, for instance, gets pretty glowy when I use a combo of sesame and jojoba.

JUST SO YOU KNOW, carrier oils can be really helpful just on their own. Don’t be afraid to skip the essential oils if you want to keep it simple!

But I like to play around and mix em up, so here are my favorite skin-saving essential oils. It’s important to remember that you don’t need to use much of these at all.

Properties of Essential Oils for Skin Care

Tea Tree: Use it for acne. It can be kind of harsh, so go easy – I suggest 5 drops max per 1 ounce of your carrier oil(s). I’m always amazed at how WICKED FAST it clears up my skin.

Eucalyptus is good for acne, too and it’s quite a bit gentler than tea tree oil.

Ylang Ylang: Ylang ylang is soooo soothing. If you have irritated skin from breakouts or sun damage, try ylang ylang. I have yet to overdo it with ylang ylang, but 5 drops in 1 oz is a good place to start.

Rosemary: Rosemary is a really good all-purpose essential oil for skin, so it’s another good one to start with if you’re not sure, or if you’re making the face oil for someone else and aren’t quite sure what their needs are. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties so it’s good for fighting acne. It’s also beneficial for healing blemishes, improving skin tone and antiaging.

Lavender: Lavender is good for fighting acne and also for healing scars.

Carrot Seed: Amazing for people with eczema and aging skin.

This is not a comprehensive list by any means but Aroma Web has what looks like a list of every essential oil made if you want to scope some more out. I can help, too! Leave a comment below & I will be happy to answer any questions. This list is simply of a few of my favorites that cover a range of skin types.

Put your oils in a bottle and shake it gently for 30 seconds or so – you’re good to go! It’s really that easy.

Any bottle that seals tightly is good. Store your serum out of light to prolong nutrient content. Amber or blue glass bottles are especially good for keeping light out and keeping your serum fresh longer.

That’s all there is to it! Apply a small amount to damp skin each time you wash your face.

Organic herbs, spices, teas and oils. You can get any of the oils I mention in this post from Mountain Rose Herbs, which is a wonderful company run by lovely people with amazing values. Check them out! They even have the dropper bottles that are perfect for storing face oil, too! They are great to shop at whether you are going to use this tutorial to make serums just for your own personal level, but also if you are looking to make them on a larger scale for gifts or to sell!

Hey you! If you found this post useful, won’t you consider sharing it and/or following me on Facebook or Twitter? And don’t forget to subscribe so you don’t miss more great tutorials and natural living info! xo, Kylie

Comments

1. says

I never realized carrier oils have useful properties too! That’s really cool. I’ve also never heard of rosemary essential oil but I think now I need to have some. Rosemary is my favorite herb, it smells so amazing!

2. says

Thanks for all the info!! I absolutely LOVE ylang ylang!! :)

Thanks for popping over and commenting on my super easy pineapple slicing method…! am so glad I figured that out before – happy to have helped!!

3. says

Hi Kylie! I saw this link on Pinterest and I bought Avocado oil and Carrot Seed for my essential oil. I was curious how many drops you’d put in of the carrot seed per one ounce of the avocado oil? Thanks!

4. says

Hey, How are going on?

Great blogging tips.This web is very good forum where we can get good element of everblossom.net.Anybody get important information from everblossom.net. Have more trouble managing my blog than I do with writing blog posts. This helps out immensely. As an enthusiastic muscle builder, I select Xtreme no for many factors. Nitric Oxide products are a fantastic option to the unlawful and risky given that some people use for fast advantages. These steroid drugs can be damaging to your overall long-term wellness, can make your locks loss out, testes reduce, in addition to can destroy you. They could also get you prohibited from your game if they do medication examining. They’re not value the issues they make so keep away from them and keep with products that provide you with good long-term advantages. I seriously suggest you examine out XTreme NO and see if it’s right for you.

Thank You Very Much For Create That Nice & Cool Article.

5. Anonymous says

Broοke cell рhone Ϻu&#1077&#406&#406&#1077r ӏn
    this handout ρhotograph supplied by thе Aѕpen
    Police Depaгtment, 34-yeaг-old in the driver s
    seat.

Herе is my wеb blοg; Dien Thoai

6. Anonymous says

After looking over a few of the blog articles
    on your blog, I truly appreciate your way of writing a blog.
    I book-marked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back soon.
    Please check out my website too and let me know
    how you feel.

Here is my homepage :: http://truvisageblog.net

7. Anonymous says

Taste is the key here because you want something that you’re going to be able
    to drink every single day. Going from skinny to muscle depends on how
    you approach and execute your workouts as
    well as how you manage your nutrition and rest. Having a six-pack or eight-pack abdomen is
    a dream for thousands of people, which is further fortified
    by the screen shots of their favorite actors who have the perfect physique with muscular arms and chest.

Feel free to visit my web page; Power Pump XL

8. Anonymous says

It’s going to be ending of mine day, however before ending I am reading this great paragraph to increase my experience.

Also visit my webpage :: Pur Essence

9. says

This is the first time I am trying Made from Earth products. It has been about three weeks and I am happy to notice the improvement of my skin. It feels firmer and more supple. I use the Made from Earth Vitamin Moisturizer and Vitamin Firming Serum.

I also notice that my face is not as oily as I have combination skin. I am excited to try the Green Tea Cleanser next !

10. Anonymous says

Τhе 1024x 600 Caρacitive Touch display ѕcrеen seems оkау for
    the pill of this ѕpeс but hоωever underwhelms
    ωhen compared to othеr Τablets
    but the loweг coѕt moгe than maκes up foг Winԁowѕ Vista.

Check out mу wеblog: may tinh bang

11. Anonymous says

With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism or copyright infringement?
    My website has a lot of unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my permission. Do you know any solutions to help reduce content from being ripped off? I’d genuinely appreciate it.

Here is my page; automobile insurance quotes online

12. Jessica says

What blend do you recommend for acne? I also have oily skin, so I don’t want something that will leave my face feeling even oilier. Thanks!

13. Anonymous says

Thank-you so much for this information. I’ve made my own serum with jojoba, grapeseed, and eucalyptus. So far, it is great! How often do you use face serum? What is your daily skin care routine? (e.g. do you use/how often do you use moisturizer, soap, serum?) I don’t want to over-do it. Also, do you have any suggestions for natural sunscreen? I have acne prone, oily skin and all suncreens aggravate it. Thanks again!

14. says

Intraday traders often borrow money to trade. Since margin interests are typically only charged on overnight balances, the extra costs discourage them from holding positions overnight. For Intraday Trading tips visit here.