How To Make Your Own Face Serum With Oils That Are Right For Your Skin

I always used to be afraid of putting oil on my skin. As someone who’s suffered from acne for around a decade, I’ve tried a lot of stuff to get rid of it. And I learned that oil-based serums are actually wonderful for all types of skin ailments, including acne.

Oils protect our skin. It’s important to keep it clean, of course, but don’t feel like you need to scrub your face till it’s tight and keep it as dry as possible to avoid breakouts. In fact, that really does much more harm than good. Face oils & serums are a wonderful way to cleanse, heal, moisturize and protect your skin.

Best of all, making facial serum is really easy! All you need is a carrier oil (or oils!) and essential oils (or oil!) of your choice. I’ve written about the properties of different carrier oils before as well as a few essential oils, but I’ll summarize a bit!

Learn to make your own face serum for YOUR skin type!

First, choose your carrier oil. The oil you use will depend on your skin type and what you’re going for. You can also blend as many carrier oils as you want as the base for your serum! There are so many to choose from, but here are my favorites:

Properties of Carrier Oils

Grapeseed Oil: A very light, nongreasy oil that absorbs easily. It’s odorless, making it great for blending with essential oils. It’s slightly astringent, meaning that it helps tighten and tone skin. Suitable for all skin types. (Get it here!)

Sweet Almond Oil: Helps relieve itching, soreness and dryness. Because it is very lubricating but doesn’t absorb easily, it’s excellent in massage blends. Good for all skin types. Don’t use it if you have nut allergies! (Get it here!)
Jojoba Oil: Penetrates deeply. Excellent for nourishing skin and healing inflammations and eczema. (Get it here!)

Rose Hip Oil
: Very moisturizing. Also contains healing compounds which make it valuable in treating scars, minor wounds, burns and eczema. (Get it here!)

Avocado Oil: Perfect for dry and aging skin. It’s super hydrating and contains all kinds of yummy fatty acids and minerals to repair damaged skin. Sun damaged skin seems to react well to avocado oil too. (Get it here!)

Jojoba Oil: Jojoba is actually a liquid wax. It forms a super protective barrier on the skin so icky environmental crap like smoke and toxins have a harder time getting to your sweet skin. Inner-city chicks, take note! It’s really amazing for ALL skin types and issues, so if you’re not sure where to start, go with jojoba oil for your carrier. (Get it here!)

Sesame Oil: It has oil-pulling properties so I love it for broken out skin. It’s also wonderful for soothing irritated, inflamed skin. If you’re struggling with acne, sesame oil is where it’s at. (Get it here!)

There are so many others, but these are the ones I love best. You can experiment with blending more than one oil if you think your skin would like it – mine, for instance, gets pretty glowy when I use a combo of sesame and jojoba.

JUST SO YOU KNOW, carrier oils can be really helpful just on their own. Don’t be afraid to skip the essential oils if you want to keep it simple!

But I like to play around and mix em up, so here are my favorite skin-saving essential oils. It’s important to remember that you don’t need to use much of these at all.

Properties of Essential Oils for Skin Care

Tea Tree: Use it for acne. It can be kind of harsh, so go easy – I suggest 5 drops max per 1 ounce of your carrier oil(s). I’m always amazed at how WICKED FAST it clears up my skin.

Eucalyptus is good for acne, too and it’s quite a bit gentler than tea tree oil.

Ylang Ylang: Ylang ylang is soooo soothing. If you have irritated skin from breakouts or sun damage, try ylang ylang. I have yet to overdo it with ylang ylang, but 5 drops in 1 oz is a good place to start.

Rosemary: Rosemary is a really good all-purpose essential oil for skin, so it’s another good one to start with if you’re not sure, or if you’re making the face oil for someone else and aren’t quite sure what their needs are. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties so it’s good for fighting acne. It’s also beneficial for healing blemishes, improving skin tone and antiaging.

Lavender: Lavender is good for fighting acne and also for healing scars.

Carrot Seed: Amazing for people with eczema and aging skin.

My favorite source for essential oils is Mountain Rose Herbs.

This is not a comprehensive list by any means but Aroma Web has what looks like a list of every essential oil made if you want to scope some more out. I can help, too! Leave a comment below & I will be happy to answer any questions. This list is simply of a few of my favorites that cover a range of skin types.

Learn to make your own face serum for YOUR skin type!

Put your oils in a bottle and shake it gently for 30 seconds or so – you’re good to go! It’s really that easy.

Any bottle that seals tightly is good. Store your serum out of light to prolong nutrient content. Amber or blue glass bottles are especially good for keeping light out and keeping your serum fresh longer.

That’s all there is to it! Apply a small amount to damp skin each time you wash your face.

You can get any of the oils I mention in this post from Mountain Rose Herbs, which is a wonderful company run by lovely people with amazing values. Check them out! They even have the dropper bottles that are perfect for storing face oil, too! They are great to shop at whether you are going to use this tutorial to make serums just for your own personal use, but also if you are looking to make them on a larger scale for gifts or to sell!

If you’d rather try out an oil-based serum before making your own, I make them. I have 3 formulas – oh hush for grouchy skin (use it if your skin is acne-prone, sensitive, or irritated) and gulp gulp for thirsty skin (use it if your skin is dry, aging, or lackluster) and cleanse for severely clogged pores. My serums are all natural with no fillers (of course!) xo

Visit my shop here!

1. says

I never realized carrier oils have useful properties too! That’s really cool. I’ve also never heard of rosemary essential oil but I think now I need to have some. Rosemary is my favorite herb, it smells so amazing!

2. says

Thanks for all the info!! I absolutely LOVE ylang ylang!! :)

Thanks for popping over and commenting on my super easy pineapple slicing method…! am so glad I figured that out before – happy to have helped!!

3. says

Hi Kylie! I saw this link on Pinterest and I bought Avocado oil and Carrot Seed for my essential oil. I was curious how many drops you’d put in of the carrot seed per one ounce of the avocado oil? Thanks!

4. says

This is the first time I am trying Made from Earth products. It has been about three weeks and I am happy to notice the improvement of my skin. It feels firmer and more supple. I use the Made from Earth Vitamin Moisturizer and Vitamin Firming Serum.

I also notice that my face is not as oily as I have combination skin. I am excited to try the Green Tea Cleanser next !

5. Jessica says

What blend do you recommend for acne? I also have oily skin, so I don’t want something that will leave my face feeling even oilier. Thanks!

6. Anonymous says

Thank-you so much for this information. I’ve made my own serum with jojoba, grapeseed, and eucalyptus. So far, it is great! How often do you use face serum? What is your daily skin care routine? (e.g. do you use/how often do you use moisturizer, soap, serum?) I don’t want to over-do it. Also, do you have any suggestions for natural sunscreen? I have acne prone, oily skin and all suncreens aggravate it. Thanks again!

• Kylie says

I use it morning and night! Sometimes midday as well, especially in the winter when the air is really dry.

I don’t use sunscreen, because I live in ND and need all the vitamin D I can get, but some of my crunchy friends swear by Shea butter. :)

7. says

Wow! I really want to try the jojoba oil and the tea tree oil if that is a combination that can be used. I have seen the sesame oil and some fragrance used before. I recommend trying 1 drop of rose oil, to 2 drops of sandalwood oil, 2 drops of Frankincense oil (used by Kings) and 1 oz of avocado oil. I found the recipe on:

Also i sell my very own serum, Lotus Firming Serum made from real Lotus flower and i mix vitamins a, c, e and CoQ10, Lycopene from Israel’s tomatoes and the all famous and amazing Grape Seed oil, and tasty Green Tea. I thought you might like to check it out at: Lotus Firming Serum . This would be a great add on to your skincare tool-belt. Much love, and thank you for taking the time to share your heart and your knowledge. Be blessed : )

8. Cassie says

I was wondering if you could explain the benefits of using coconut (fractionated) oil and EV olive oil as bases? I’m not asking about mixing them together, just each one. In the comments of your tea tree acne post, you mention that the olive oil could be used for a serum. I also already have the coconut oil on hand for uses with EO’s. Looking forward to your reply, thank you!

9. Taylor says

I use the oil cleansing method to wash my face every evening. I love it but also want to add an anti aging facial serum like you mentioned. Can I add the serum to my face after already cleansing it with oil? Will that be too much oil do you think? Thank you! 😉

10. says

This is all amazing info, so thank you so much! I have a question about applying the serum: after applying to a damp face do you wash the oil off? And how many drops did you apply? Thank you!

11. Kate says

so to make the serum, you mix the essential oils with the carrier oils? I recently started a new birth control and I think with the hormone change it is causing me to break out, I have 2 spots which are I believe cystic acne and they hurt! My skin is super sensitive and the slightest things seem to make me break out. What would you recommend? I currently use cliniques 3 step stystem and makeup but I’m not sure if the toner is making my face worse. Any and all advice is very much appreciated!

12. Becky says

When mixing the two oils do you do equal amounts of each? I went and bought tea tree oi today after reading the post about using it for acne and then I checked out this post about making the serum and I definitely want to try it! I have been trying to find a way to get my acne under control for ages and hate paying the high prices for acne treatments lol time to try making my own!

13. Taryn says

thanks so much, I’ve had great success using the OCM. Do you have any tips for making such cute labels that aren’t ruined by the oil/water? Thanks!

14. Angie says

I had a question about the serum. You said to apply it to a damp face, does that mean you don’t wash it off? Does it stay on overnight? Sorry I’m new to this :/

15. Yhairis says

Hello! I love you post and will like to give it a try. I have acne and very oily skin. I purchased jojoba oil, sesame seed, lavender and TTO to make the serum! How should I mix them? Thanks!!

• says

Yharis, I’m so glad you are going to give oil-based skincare a try! I would start with 1/2 ounce each of jojoba and sesame, and 6 drops each of lavender and tea tree. That will give you a wonderful acne-fighting serum.