I used to sleep long and heavy, no problem. I was a little nocturnal, but when I did sleep I woke up refreshed and had plenty of energy while I was awake.
Then I had a baby.
After Mercury was born, I wouldn't really sleep. I would take several 45 minute naps throughout the day and night, but it was about 2 months before he started sleeping longer and my body started going back to normal and I could actually get a longer stretch in. Now he's 2, and he's slept through the night for over a year. But my sleep never really recovered. I still wake up to slight noises, if I get thirsty, if my husband grinds his teeth, or if the cat uses the litter box in the bathroom across the hall.
I drink a pretty absurd amount of coffee throughout the day, so energy isn't an issue (HA!). But waking up is SO much easier and more pleasant and less zombie-like if I get a good night's rest. Here are a few things that have helped me get better quality sleep and wake up much more refreshed.
- Stop drinking coffee in the afternoon. If I drink coffee past about 3:00 pm, I find myself waking up more at night.
- Turn off electronics. We leave our phones on, since they are also our alarm clock, but the computer and xbox need to be shut completely down for me to fall asleep. I don't really understand why this works, but it does.
- Lower the temp. My perfect temp is when I'm a little bit chilly when I'm not under the covers. Since our body temperature naturally drops as we drift into sleep, a cooler environment can help us get into sleep mode.
- No bedtime snacks. Your body rests best when it's not digesting food!
- Prayer and reading. Handing my worries to God, spending time in His word and thanking Him for all of the amazing ways he's blessed our family gives me a peace like nothing else I can do.
- Empty sink. I don't necessarily get all the dishes done (we don't have a dishwasher.) each night, but I hate having the sink full. Any dishes left get neatly stacked on the counter to tackle the next day.
- Load coffee pot and “what's for breakfast?” That way, I just go into the kitchen, flip a switch and start making breakfast without having to think too hard. I usually put Kent's lunch for the next day together at this time.
- Quick bathroom wipe down, wash face, brush teeth.