A fantastic and delectable homemade holiday gift idea is a hearty and easy to make dry soup mix. Of course, if ever there was a time to eat soup, winter is it. So the following recipe is for full-bodied, Italian wedding soup.
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbs onion powder
- 1 cup dried carrot
- 7 oz dried spinach (chopped frozen)
- 6 tsp MSG-free bullion
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup whole wheat pastini pasta
- ¾ cups seasoned breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper (taste)
- ¼ tsp of cayenne pepper
Gather 4 small bowls. In the first bowl, pour your pastini. The second bowl will hold your yellows. Pour in the cayenne pepper and bullion. Use the third bowl for your greens – the dried spinach, oregano, basil, pepper and Italian seasoning. Use the fourth bowl to hold your whites – the salt, onion powder and garlic powder. Keep your breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and carrots separate. Mix the contents in each bowl thoroughly until the color is consistent throughout.
Layer the contents of each bowl into a jar. Start by pouring your pastini into the jar. Then add your white mix, your green mix and your yellow mix. Top off the jar with your dried carrots. You can either add the parmesan and breadcrumbs to the top or vacuum pack them separately and attach it to the jar.
Italian Wedding Soup is usually served with meatballs. Switch it up by recommending a specific brand of spicy Italian sausage that you like. Also, Whole Foods sells Field Roast Italian Eggplant Vegan Meatless Sausage. The flavor and texture of this vegan sausage is unbelievable. It tastes like sausage.
Be sure to attach the following instructions to your gift.
- Brown your sausage in a pot using 1 tbs of olive oil.
- Allow the excess oil to drain from the meat by placing it on paper towels.
- Make soup stock by adding your carrots and yellow mix to the soup along with 6 cups of water.
- Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Next, add your green mix to the pot
- Add your cooked sausage and white mix to the pot and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
- In a separate pot, cook your pastini to al dente then add it to the stock pot
- As meals are served, add the grated parmesan and breadcrumbs to the top of each individual serving of soup.