Why shea butter?
Most balms contain beeswax, but I don't usually include it anymore because the shea butter stays solid well enough. If you live where it is very hot, you might want to add a little beeswax to keep your balm solid.
If you follow this recipe to the letter, you'll end up with a soft balm that is very easy to work with.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/4 cup of shea butter
- 1/8 tsp (12-13 drops) essential oil
CHOOSE YOUR OIL
You can use one essential oil or a blend of oils, depending on what you want to use the balm for! Here are a few ideas:
- Muscle relaxer: ginger, cedarwood, peppermint (go easy – it can be harsh on the skin!), tea tree, rosemary
- Burn soother: lavender, rose
- Owie healer: tea tree, lavender, rosemary
- For thirsty skin: lavender, chamomile, rose, geranium, sandalwood
- For congestion: eucalyptus, tea tree, rosemary
I love keeping two simple balms on hand: lavender balm + tea tree balm. They are both pretty versatile, so I find that I can use one of them for pretty much anything I might need.
CREATING YOUR BALM
- Melt your shea butter using a double boiler. Heat it just until it's all melted, to preserve the nutrients as much as possible! Once melted, add it to the container you'll be storing it in.
- Allow the shea butter to cool enough to where you can touch it comfortably. It will start looking a bit cloudy, but still be liquid. This is when you want to add your EOs. The reason you want to wait for it to cool a bit is so that the hot shea butter doesn't destroy the beneficial compounds of the essential oils you're using.
- Gently stir your balm – I use a chopstick 🙂 – or seal your container and swirl it around – don't shake! Be gentle. 🙂
- Put it somewhere cool to set.
Do you want to win the supplies to make your own balms from Mountain Rose Herbs? I know you do! MRH is generously giving one lucky-duck Everblossom reader supplies to make their own medicinal goodies!
- 4 ounces of shea butter
- ½ ounce Peppermint essential oil
- ½ ounce Tea Tree essential oil
- ½ ounce Lavender essential oil
- ½ ounce Cedarwood, Virginia, essential oil
Enter using the Rafflecopter below. Happy creating! x