Dark circles… puffy eyes… when I don't get enough sleep, it's pretty easy to tell with a quick glance. My solution: a simple DIY caffeine eye serum!
Apparently, dark under eye circles are hereditary, and I'm sorry to say that I've passed the “gift” on to my children as well. Sorry, chitlins! (They are still super cute.)
Dark circles are caused by oxygenated blood pooled beneath the eyes. Being horizontal as you sleep makes it worse – especially if you sleep on your tummy. (Guilty.)
So why do some people have worse circles than others? Some people just have thinner skin underneath their eyes than others! Apparently I'm one of them.
Caffeine applied topically improves circulation and plumps up the skin, diminishing the appearance of the circles. It also works to bring puffiness down, so this diy caffeine eye serum going to be your new early-morning best friend! (Besides actual coffee, maybe.)
How to Make DIY Caffeine Eye Serum
- The first step is the longest: infuse some sweet almond oil with with ground coffee. Add 1/2 cup ground coffee to a jar, then just enough sweet almond oil to cover the coffee grounds. Close the jar tightly and let it sit in your cupboard for 4 or 5 days to infuse.
- Using a cheesecloth, strain the infused oil into another jar or a clean bowl. Squeeeeeeze as much of the oil out as you can.
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and stir until combined
- Bottle it up, baby! I added a couple coffee beans because it's cute and will continue to infuse my serum with caffeine.
(You'll have some leftover oil and coffee grounds that you should totally throw together to make a nice scrub – use it on your hands and feet to exfoliate and improve circulation!)
I use the serum as needed. If I remember to, I'll put it on as I head to bed if it's super late. Otherwise, I just put it on in the morning. Within 10 minutes, I'm looking much more refreshed!
Remember to use your ring finger to apply any and all eye products! It's the weakest finger, so it's the most gentle on the delicate skin around your eyes.
- You don't have to keep this serum in the fridge for preservation, but it's not a bad idea: cold is great for puffy eyes, so it'll enhance the effects.
- If you get your hands on a roller-ball applicator with a steel tip, that would be great for storing your serum. The cool steel would enhance the effects, too. (Edit: These are available from Rivertree Life on Amazon!)
- I didn't have any vanilla essential oil on hand, but IF I DID, I totally would have added a drop. It would smell heavenly and aid the anti-aging effects.
Enjoy! Let me know if you try this recipe or if you find any cool ways to tweak it!
Don't wanna DIY? You can buy this this serum in my shop: