My caffeine eye serum recipe has been shared and tested like crazy and it's been interesting to see the response. Some of you absolutely love it, while some of you have had disappointing results. Here's what we've learned, dears!
- The way the serum turns out varies drastically depending on the type of coffee used.
- Many agree the aloe is better off left out. (Fine!)
- Ashlynn reminded us that “the difference between dark and light roast is caffeine content. Get a light roasted coffee for the most caffeine content!”
- If you don't strain it enough, you'll end up with coffee dust in your serum, which marks your skin and defeats the entire purpose of the serum!
- I'm leaving that recipe up, because it is working for so many people! But today I'm going to share my new and improved recipe, which is the exact formula I use for PERK, the caffeine eye serum in the shop. Bonus: It's actually a lot quicker and easier to make this version, anyway. 😉
PERK Caffeine Eye Serum Recipe
- 1/2 oz. avocado oil*
- 1/2 oz. sweet almond oil*
- 8 drops coffee essential oil (Plant Therapy has this and it's the only one I've found that doesn't look sketchy. As of this writing, it's on SALE too! Whoop!)
- 4 drops vanilla essential oil (Plant Therapy has this too.)
Mountain Rose Herbs has both. You can substitute other carrier oils based on what you have around. Here's a guide to carrier oils that will help you choose.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS combine the ingredients in a bottle. A glass bottle with a dropper is nice. A roll-tip bottle with a steel ball would help the serum work better, too.
Boom. Use a drop or two under each eye on those early mornings.
Here's why these ingredients work so well:
- Coffee EO has caffeine! Applied topically, caffeine improves circulation and reduces inflammation. This is what makes the serum so effective.
- Vanilla EO delivers an extra dose of antioxidants to slow aging and protect your skin.
- Avocado oil is deeply nourishing an moisturizing – perfect for that delicate skin around the eyes.
- Sweet almond oil is a readily-absorbed carrier oil that helps the other ingredients reach the layers of your skin.
I can't wait to hear how you all like this recipe – it's an improvement on an already awesome one, in my mind! If you want to try it before you DIY it, this exact serum is listed in my shop as PERK.