“I don't always have food on my face, but when I do, it's totally on purpose.” As it turns out, there are many, many foods you can use to create your own beauty treatments from head to toe. And you don't have to search out super exotic ingredients either – in fact, many of them are probably already in your pantry.
Last week on our Bohemi Babes Blab Show, Chris and I discussed 11 favorite foods for skincare. Here's how we LOVE using these foods!
- Cocoa or Cacao – Super rich in magnesium, vitamin C, and antioxidants, cocoa (or raw cacao for the biggest nutrient boost!) makes a great exfoliant and/or mask ingredient.
- Oats – This dirt-cheap staple is another awesome exfoliator and is really helpful for soothing irritated skin.
- Coffee – Yet another great exfoliant that delivers skin-firming caffeine to areas with cellulite or loose skin. I also love it as an ingredient for my coffee serum!
- Olive Oil – Natural beauties have been using this oil for thousands of years. We love it for oil cleansing, moisture, and even for some herbal remedies!
- Coconut Oil – Coconut oil gets lots of love in the natural living world, and for good reason! It's extremely versatile for use in all kinds of recipes
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Medicinal and beauty use of ACV dates back to 2500 BC! It's high in malic acid, an alpha hydroxy acid, so it’s a chemical exfoliant. (This is the only brand I use!)
- Gelatin – It's incredibly healthy to have in your diet, but you can use it for DIY pore strips and other amazing at home beauty treatments.
- Salt/Sugar – Salt and sugar get lots of love as some of the best exfoliants there are. Here are some fun salt and sugar scrub recipes!
- Cinnamon – This common spice plumps up the skin, making it fantastic for anti-aging and lip care recipes.
- Honey – An all-time favorite, honey is powerfully healing. Use it as a face wash and for countless other purposes – it's antibacterial AND super moisturizing.
- Fruits and Veggies – With a wide array of vitamins, enzymes, and minerals, loads of fruits and veggies can be used in your skincare routine. We love using dried fruit and vegetable powders and blended plants.
Have you ever used food in your beauty routine? What has been your favorite?