Want to learn how to make your own lip balm? You should! There are SO many reasons to make your own lip balm… You'll save money, get a higher quality product, and be able to customize it perfectly. However, the most important reason people are opting to make lip balm is to ensure the ingredients being used are only natural ingredients. With the average person being known to ingest substantial quantities of lip balm over the course of their lifetime, it's good to know that the ingredients being consumed are safe. The recipe below will result in an extra moisturizing, all-natural homemade lip balm that you can feel safe using. And of course…. it makes a great handmade holiday gift!
Shea Butter Lip Balm Recipe
1. Combine beeswax, shea butter, and coconut oil in a pint sized glass jar.
2. Add two inches of water to a small saucepan and turn the stove to medium heat.
3. Once water beings to warm, place the glass jar into saucepan being sure not to get any water into the jar.
4. Allow ingredients in the glass jar to melt until the mixture resembles a thick and syrupy liquid.
5. Turn the heat off and leave the glass jar in the water to keep warm.
8. Use a dropper or a measuring cup to move liquid from the glass jar to lip balm containers. This needs to be done quickly as the mixture will start to harden as it cools. You can use tubes or tins… check out this blab replay to see how Christina makes a crazy-frugal lip balm container holder for easy filling…. it's genius!!
9. Allow the mixture to cool for several hours or until completely hardened.
Have you ever made your own lip balm or other DIY natural gifts?
Love DIYs like this? I used ingredients from my GREENBOX – a monthly box chock full of natural DIY supplies from Homegrown Collective! Check it out if you need a gift idea for the DIYer in your life or want to simplify your own habit. 😉