I'm sure you guys have noticed by now that I'm just a little bit of a geek when it comes to food and nutrition. Lately, though, I've had to let a lot of things slide due to the holidays. 2 year olds and husbands deserve to eat white sugar and lots of pie at Christmas time, and that's all there is to it. Another setback has been my unrelenting fatigue from growing a little human inside me, so I've had to make some compromises in order to just get us fed. I usually make almost everything we eat from scratch, but that's not possible right now so I've been buying more premade foods and making a lot of green smoothies.
- Replace white sugar with honey, especially raw, local honey if you can find it. LocalHarvest is a good place to look!
- Use whole wheat flour in your baking rather than white. I have never had a problem simply replacing white flour in any given recipe.
- Switch to whole grain pasta.
- Eat oatmeal instead of boxed cereal. You can mix it with milk and fruit and stuff the night before and stick it in the fridge, and it's ready to go in the morning. So easy and soaking it also increases the nutritional benefits!
- Each time you grocery shop, buy something in the produce section that you normally don't. Trying new foods is fun and keeps things interesting, and variety is good for you!