Curly hair truly looks beautiful, but it also requires a little bit more maintenance than regular straight hair. If you’ve had straight hair all your life and want to try a new hairstyle, you need to know that you will need to incorporate a whole new hair care regime into your daily habit.
But don’t worry, as there are many tried and tested methods that can help you take care of your curly short hairstyles. Check out some of the tips below and make sure to follow them so that your hair can look its best any day of the week.
- Use the right products – the thing with curly hair is that it is a lot drier than regular hair. So the best thing you can do is buy hair care products that are made for damaged hair. Peruse through the shampoo and conditioner aisle at stores and look for products specifically made for curly hair. Better yet, do not buy the drugstore brands, go straight to salons because their products are not diluted and therefore more effective.
- Do not shampoo often – because curly hair is drier, the chemicals included in the shampoo might prove to be too harsh for curly hair. Shampooing too often may make the hair dryer. Test your hair out and see what shampooing often can do to your hair. Some shampoo their hair every other day instead while others every three days.
- Do co-washing instead – also called the no poo, instead of shampooing, many people who have curly hair use conditioner instead. This is much gentler than shampoo and will not dry the hair when used. Some even do deep conditioning for their hair every time they wash so that the moisture lost during cleaning will be restored.
- Refrain from brushing your hair when it is dry – many people with naturally curly hair swear by this rule. Always brush your hair when it is wet when you try to brush your hair when dry, your curls might resist the brush and it will result to split ends. Aside from that, the curl pattern of your hair will break and that look is not flattering at all. Instead, use a wide toothed comb to gently detangle your hair when it is wet, preferably when it has been conditioned.
- Don’t use a towel when drying – nobody wants frizzy hair, and that is exactly what will happen if you vigorously dry your hair with a towel. You do not want to get out of the house with your hair looking like it’s defying gravity. What you should do is gently pat your hair with a towel, or better yet, use a t-shirt to do the drying process. This way you can eliminate the risk of frizzy hair.
While maintaining a curly hairstyle may take a lot of effort, it will be worth it when you see how good that particular looks on you.
Leave a Reply