It wasn't very long ago that most balms were petroleum-based. We've come a long way since then, and thank goodness.
We have a lot more options now, both when it comes to ingredients and product categories. Ingredients are a lot healthier now, with more plant based options. Cleansing balms are a great example of both.
What is a cleansing balm?
Cleansing balms are a new type of cleanser. The concept builds off the oil cleansing method, where you literally wash your face with oil instead of a soap or detergent. The difference is that a cleansing balm also contains a thick butter and/or wax.
Cleansing balms are great for a few reasons:
- Ingredients are very gentle on skin.
- Cleansing balms are convenient and portable.
- Multi-use product. Like other balms, you can use it in a pinch for smoothing frizzy hair, lip balm, etc.
They're excellent for softening, protecting and healing your skin, whether it's dry, oily, combination, or sensitive. The oil ingredients make it a very effective makeup-remover.
How to choose a cleansing balm
Cleansing balms can help all skin types, as long as you choose the right one.
- For dry skin, look for ingredients like shea butter, jojoba oil, olive oil, and vitamin E.
- For oily skin, choose a cleansing balm with safflower oil or grapeseed oil, which are “thinner” oils that won't leave a residue. Also, take a look at “gel” balm cleansers.
Have you ever used a cleansing balm or other nontraditional cleanser?