Each winter, I'm reminded just how harsh the cold, dry air can be on my skin. If you've been in harsh cold climates, you know how easy it is for your lips to get chapped or for flakes to appear.
When it comes to keeping your skin hydrated in the winter, keep these tips in mind:
- prevention: getting rid of dry skin is more difficult and painful than preventing it in the first place
- protection: protecting your skin from the harsh winter air is important – cover your skin with clothing, balms, and other protectants when you'll be outside
- hydration – drink plenty of water and use moisturizing skincare products to keep your skin in good shape
I've been making and using my own avocado serum for hydrated skin throughout the winter for years. It's a simple infused oil blend and it's super easy to use.
In fact, this is the method I use to make our Avocado Serum.
- 2 oz avocado oil
- 1 tsp oats
- Grind the oats into powder using a coffee grinder or blender.
- Add the avocodo oil and oats to a glass jar.
- Shake the bottle gently to combine.
- Label + store in a cool, dark, dry area.
- Allow the oil to infuse for 1 day.
- Using a cheesecloth, strain the oats out of the avocado oil.
The remaining oil is your serum! You can use the oily oat powder as a lip or face scrub.
How to Use Avocado Hydrating Serum
Start with a clean face and fingers, and apply 10 drops to damp skin each time you wash up. Use gentle taps to avoid rubbing and pulling at your skin.