Enjoying the great outdoors is so much fun, but being eaten alive by mosquitoes and other insects definitely isn't! Unfortunately, many of the options for repelling them are incredibly toxic and smell really unpleasant.
What's great is that you can actually make your own wonderful smelling bug spray with essential oils and a few other very simple ingredients. Here's how:
Ingredients for Essential Oil Bug Spray:
- 1/4 cup of distilled water
- 15 drops of essential oils (choose from the oils listed below, for my own recipe I used a mixture of citronella and lemongrass)
- 1/2 cup of witch hazel
Let's talk about essential oil choices. You can choose oils based on the type of bug you want to repel.
Which oils repel mosquitoes?Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Geranium, Citronella, Lavender
Which oils repel ticks?
Thyme, Juniper, Oregano, Grapefruit (grapefuit oil may cause sun sensitivies and should be used with caution outdoors)
How to Make Your Own Bug Spray With Essential Oils
You will need 15 drops of essential oils for this recipe. Choose 2-3 of the above oils, then divide up the required drops between the bottles. For example if you choose 3 oils, you will add 5 drops of each oil into the mixture for a total of 15 drops.
To make your bug spray, mix the ingredients together. If your spray bottle is big enough you can mix the ingredients directly into the container. If not, simply mix the ingredients and transfer them into your container of choice.
- Keep the spray away from eyes and mouth.
- This spray is for topical use only. Do not ingest.
- Always speak to a doctor before using any essential oils on yourself or children. Ask about any potential medication interactions, allergies, or sensitivities.
How to Use DIY Essential Oil Bug Spray
Using your homemade bug spray is as simple as spraying it on your skin before you head outdoors. This spray is not waterproof so you will need to apply if your skin gets wet.