Have you ever noticed that when you have more people spending time at home, you end up with far more messes and more smells. Makes sense.
So sometimes we need a little help, but you don't have to resort to toxic chemicals to make your home smell lovely.
Here are 9 tips and tools we can use to keep our homes naturally fresh.
9 Tips for a Naturally Fresh Home
- Use potpourri. You can make your own using dried herbs, flowers, fruits, and other natural materials. The Herbal Academy of New England has a recipe for fruity potpourri that sounds lovely.
- Keep plants in your home – they'll keep your home fresher as they produce oxygen.
- Use an aromatherapy spray. I make my own using hydrosols, and it's lovely (and safe!)
- Make your own natural fabric softener. Water and essential oils – that's all you need!
- Light candles… but only certain ones. While paraffin releases carcinogens into the air when you burn them, beeswax actually purifies the air as it's burned!
- Open up the windows as often as you can. Fresh air coming in helps a lot.
- Clean the floors. Bathroom and kitchen floors are the landing spot for a lot of odor-causing debris and… stuff.
- Clean out the garbage disposal. It's a common source of odor, since food can get trapped in there and start to smell funky.
- Shampoo the carpets. As often as you can, clean carpets to eliminate and prevent any odor-causing buildup.