Fall is one of my favorite times to explore nature, but we do tend to spend more time inside this time of year. It's colder outside, of course, but there's also so much to do to prepare for winter and the holiday season. There's something so satisfying about having a home buzzing with activity, with wonderful aromas wafting through the air. But the reality is… more people (and animals, Lord help us!) spending time inside the home that means more messes and more smells. So sometimes we need a little help, but you don't have to resort to toxic chemicals to make your home smell lovely. Here are 5 tips and tools we can use to keep our homes naturally fresh.
5 Tips for a Naturally Fresh Home
- Use potpourri. You can make your own using dried herbs, flowers, fruits, and other natural materials. The Herbal Academy of New England has a recipe for fruity potpourri that sounds lovely.
- Keep plants in your home – they'll keep your home fresher as they produce oxygen.
- Use an aromatherapy spray. I make my own using hydrosols, and it's lovely (and safe!)
- Make your own natural fabric softener. Vinegar and essential oils – that's all you need!
- Light candles… but only certain ones. While paraffin releases carcinogens into the air when you burn them, beeswax actually purifies the air as it's burned!