Stress is quickly becoming well known as one of the biggest health risks of our modern society. Because we are constantly running on high gear in a world full of stimulants, we are putting our bodies into states of stress that wreak havoc on our wellness. It has even been estimated that up to 90% of all doctors visits are due to stress-induced symptoms. What? One of my favorite ways to recharge myself is by using aromatherapy for stress relief.
Thankfully, aromatherapy is a safe and gentle treatment that has been proven effective in reducing stress levels. With no side effects, aromatherapy is able to stimulate sense of smell in order to boost moods and relieve stress.
Essential Oils for Stress Relief
- Lavender: Originating from the Mediterranean, Lavender is one of the most widely used oils for aromatherapy. When tested recently in a lab, lavender proved to be the most effective oil at relaxing the brain and reducing stress.
- Chamomile: Most commonly known for its use as a calming bedtime tea, the fragrance of chamomile also has tranquil effect. Uses of chamomile flowers for their relaxing properties have been dated back to medieval times.
- Rose: A long-time favorite of perfumes and oils, rose essential oil is made by distilling the blossoms of the flower alone. The result is a sweetly floral fragrance, which is said to calm nervous tension.
- Jasmine: These small white flowers, which originate from Iran, have an exotic and floral scent. Jasmine is used to not only relax nerves, but muscles as well.
- Sandalwood: The essential oils of sandalwood are soft and woody, and are cultivated by distilling the roots and heart of the sandalwood tree. It has been used as a calming scent in India for ages.
- Vanilla: Used in a multitude of ways from baking to perfume, vanilla is a fragrance that has been proven to improve moods. It also has been said to have a pheromone-like quality, so consider trying it out around your special someone.
- Bergamot: This more unknown scent is the extract of a citrus tree, and the special ingredient that makes Earl Grey tea unique. Bergamot is said to be a powerful antidepressant.
- Ylang Ylang: This flower named “the flower of all flowers” in the Philippines where it hails from, has been proven to curb depression, anger, and fear. Some studies suggest that a simple sniff of ylang ylang can even lower blood pressure.
How to Use Aromatherapy for Stress Relief
- Diffuser: Diffusers generally have a small amount of the fragrance in the base, with sticks of wood sitting in it and sticking out of the top. The fragrance gently steeps through the wood, and the result is a wonderfully scented room.
- In a Bath: When you need to unwind, try putting a few drops of your favorite essential oil (or a blend) into a sudsy tub with you. The heat of the water will allow the scent to gently rise with the steam. Light a few candles, and you have a total sensory affect.
- Steam: Drop a few oils into a humidifier, and the scent will gently permeate the whole house. Don’t have a humidifier? Put a small pot of water on the stove on low with the essential oils added. The result is the same.
- Massage: One of the most luxurious ways to relax, add a few drops of essential oil to lotion for a nice self massage. If you really want to wind down, see if you can coax someone you love into giving you the massage.
Have you ever used aromatherapy for stress relief? What do you like to do to unwind?
I totally have to pin this! I need to get some of these oils for those days when "two under two" is getting to me!
I needed this article! I decided just last night that I want to put together a relaxation gift basket for my significant other. He's been very stressed due to a special project at work that won't end till June and he's also having trouble sleeping. This is just the info I needed to move forward! Thanks!
Krystyna @ Spring Mountain Living
What a great idea! And I think doing in ahead of time/anticipating it would really help too!
What wonderful article. I am a HUGE aromatherapy fan. I recently published a book for Amazon Kindle exactly on these two topics: 1) Aromatherapy for Stress relief and 2) Holiday stress management.
For those of you who have never tried Aromatherapy, you just do not know what you are missing. I've uses essential oils in four ways described above, and the therapeutic benefits are delightful. Lavender is by far my favorite essential oil.
If you are a beginner and do not know where to start, check out my beginner Aromatherapy For Stress Relief ebook on Kindle. You're gonna love it!
Sarah @ made in usa challenge
Lavender is my favorite essential oil as well. I find it to be very relaxing. I don't find the Holidays stressful, but work and other things in life can make me anxious. It's great to have some natural remedies to try for relief.
That's really amazing idea! I'm doing this.
sore throat home remedies
Whаt's up Dear, are you truly visiting this web page on a regular basis, if so afterward you will definitely take good experience.
Feel free to visit my site payday loans
Аttraсtive section of content. I juѕt stumbled upon your ѕіte and in acсession capitаl to аsѕert that I get actuаlly enjoуed acсount yοur blog poѕts.
Αnуway I will be subѕсгibіng to
уour feeds anԁ evеn I achieνement you aсcеss conѕistently quickly.
Feеl free to ѕurf tο my web blog
same day loans
Αhaa, its nicе dialogue on the topic of this post herе at this blog, I have read all that, so at this time me also cοmmеnting
Feel frеe to visit my webpаge - payday loans
ӏ гeallу like rеaԁing through a pοѕt that can
make men anԁ ωomеn think. Alѕo,
thanks for pеrmіtting me to cοmmеnt!
Alѕo νiѕіt my ωeblοg ... payday loans uk
Why visitors still use to reаd news papers whеn іn
this technologicаl wοrld everything is presenteԁ on net?
My webpage Payday Loans
Hi there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
There's a lot of folks that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Cheers
Here is my web-site: Boutique Air Max
I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that's equally
educative and entertaining, and without a doubt, you've hit the nail on the head. The issue is something that too few men and women are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy I found this during my search for something concerning this.
Have a look at my web blog Louis Vuitton Bags Outlet
This text is priceless. How can I find out more?
Look into my blog ... Michael Kors ()
I don't know whether it's just me or if perhaps everyone else experiencing
problems with your blog. It appears like some of the
written text on your content are running off the screen.
Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them too?
This may be a problem with my web browser because I've had this happen before. Thank you
Also visit my webpage :: Nike Free 7.0
Natural stress relief
he winds are strong and the force of nature is truly demonstrating its power.
Natural stress relief