I used to sleep long and heavy, no problem. I was a little nocturnal, but when I did sleep I woke up refreshed and had plenty of energy while I was awake.
Then I had a baby.
After Mercury was born, I wouldn't really sleep. I would take several 45 minute naps throughout the day and night, but it was about 2 months before he started sleeping longer and my body started going back to normal and I could actually get a longer stretch in. Now he's 2, and he's slept through the night for over a year. But my sleep never really recovered. I still wake up to slight noises.
I drink a pretty absurd amount of coffee throughout the day, so energy isn't an issue (HA!). But waking up is SO much easier and more pleasant and less zombie-like if I get a good night's rest. Here are a few things that have helped me get better quality sleep and wake up much more refreshed.
- Stop drinking coffee in the afternoon. If I drink coffee past about 3:00 pm, I find myself waking up more at night.
- Turn off electronics. We leave our phones on, since they are also our alarm clock, but the computer and xbox need to be shut completely down for me to fall asleep. I don't really understand why this works, but it does.
- Lower the temp. My perfect temp is when I'm a little bit chilly when I'm not under the covers. Since our body temperature naturally drops as we drift into sleep, a cooler environment can help us get into sleep mode.
- No bedtime snacks. Your body rests best when it's not digesting food!
- Empty sink. I don't necessarily get all the dishes done (we don't have a dishwasher.) each night, but I hate having the sink full. Any dishes left get neatly stacked on the counter to tackle the next day.
- Load coffee pot and "what's for breakfast?" That way, I just go into the kitchen, flip a switch and start making breakfast without having to think too hard.
- Quick bathroom wipe down, wash face, brush teeth.
I love the wipe down the bathroom idea. I wipe down the kitchen after dishes are done or mostly done (no dishwasher either), so I don't see why that same tactic can't migrate to the bathroom. Great idea!
I wind down every evening with a cup of herbal tea, often chamomile. About an hour and a half before bed--ensusing I can go to the bathroom before laying down. I sleep so soundly after herbal tea.
Gina - I'm so glad! Thanks for stopping by! 🙂
Eryka - It's so funny you mention chamomile tea because I JUST bought some today. This is a pretty busy season & I'm hoping it will help me on days when I'm a little on edge.
I loved this post and the tips for a better night sleep, good insight, thank you for sharing!!! I love the last tip:)
Hello there! Would you mind if I share your blog with my twitter group?
There's a lot of people that I think would really enjoy your content. Please let me know. Thank you
My web blog :: car cheap insurance rate
I don't sleep much as it is but that could be do to me being a warrior in the worrying field, I since I can remember I would only sleep about 4-5 hours in a 24hr time.. I do get a little bit more but its done it parts during the day n at night loll.. I have no suggestions, but thank you for sharing your story