I spent far, far too long leaving skin toner out of my beauty routine. Now that know how to make it myself and see all the amazing benefits, I'll never look back! It's actually really easy to make your own skin toner. Let's talk!
Why You Should Use Facial Toner
Toner can enhance the effects of other products in your skin care arsenal by helping to unclog pores. It allows any skin serums you use to penetrate your skin more deeply, and makes your moisturizers much more effective. On the same note, I've noticed my makeup going on much more smoothly since adding a toner to my routine!
How Should Toner Be Used?
Toner should generally be applied after you have removed your makeup and cleansed your face. It is best to apply toner before you apply moisturizer. This will help unclog your pores and reduce any redness in your skin before you re-hydrate your skin with your daily moisturizer. Toner can be used in any season and is a relatively inexpensive addition to your daily skin care regimen.
- Exfoliate and/or Mask (as needed)
- Treat (serums, acne treatments, etc.)
- Astringent ~ Due to the high concentration of tannins in witch hazel, it's a great astringent.
- Treat Acne ~ Acne comes with a host of skin issues and using witch hazel can address most of them. It is gentle on pimples and will reduce the size of blemishes. It is also good for lingering acne scars.
- BalanceDiscoloration ~ Skin can become discolored from acne scars, sun damage or bruises. Applying witch hazel to dark patches or discolored skin can help return its healthy glow.
How to Make Your Own Skin Toner
You can use regular witch hazel as a toner without adding anything to it! It works really well. You know me, though - I like to play. 🙂 I add various oils to mine to get a boost of benefits. Here's my DIY skin toner recipe:
- 1 oz witch hazel
- 6 drops lavender essential oil
- 6 drops frankincense essential oil (<- Plant Therapy's is on sale on Amazon as of this posting for a GREAT price!)
Why these essential oils? Lavender is such a beautiful ingredient for most skin types, with a range of benefits: soothing inflammation, anti aging properties. Frankincense is quickly winning my heart thanks to its skincare benefits and the way it seems to help other oils work more effectively. Every moisturizer recipe I've tried is greatly improved with the addition of frankincense and that's the case with this toner, too!
Combine these ingredients in a 1 ounce glass bottle - I like to use a spray bottle for easy application and freshening up my skin throughout the day, but you can use a regular bottle and apply it with a cotton ball if that's more your style! To use, just shake the bottle gently, spray or apply it to your skin after cleansing, before using any serums or moisturizers. With regular use, you'll notice smoother skin and diminished pores. Love!