I have never been great at being organized. I'm sort of okay at organizing small areas and at making lists, but I've always found it hard to stick with any kind of system consistently. I've learned that this is actually a sort of perfectionism - I tell myself, "I can't to a perfect job right now, so I just won't do anything." Getting over this thought process has made the biggest positive impact on how organized my home and time are!
- You can't organize clutter.
- You can do anything for 15 minutes.
- Routines are a lifesaver!
You Can't Organize Clutter
- anything that's out of place.
- anything that doesn't have a place.
- anything that you should really get rid of.
Limiting Beliefs - Declutter Your Brain!
Spend 15 Minutes Each Day Decluttering Your Home
Every day, until your home is clutter-free (and then maybe once a week or something) follow these steps:
How to Declutter Your Home
- Pick a room a room or closet to go nuts on.
- Get 2 boxes/totes/bags or any other kind of container that can hold a good amount of stuff and also a trash bag.
- Set a timer for 15 minutes.
- Go crazy! Use one tote for donating stuff and another for stuff that goes elsewhere in the house. Don't think too long about anything. Be ruthless. Get your hands on as much stuff as possible. Donate anything that you don't truly love or need and that is just taking up space. Throw away the trash and things that are in poor condition. Throw things that are out of place in the "put away" bin.
Knowing how to declutter is half the battle - because often it is just so overwhelming to think about that we don't even start. You don't have to get it all done at once! Just use these decluttering tips to get it done 15 minutes at a time.
Organizing is so much easier when you have less stuff! I have not once regretted getting rid of anything, even things I was really torn about. Having a cleaner home is totally worth it! For those items you are torn about, consider this list of questions, which is also from FlyLady:
- Do I love this item?
- Have I used in the past year?
- Is it really garbage?
- Do I have another one that's better?
- Should I really keep 2?
- Does it have sentimental value?
- Or... does it give me guilt and make me sad when I see this item?