I'm heading to Shiftcon soon (I'll be there tomorrow!! Eeee!) and I'm trying to ensure that I'll stay well so I don't miss out on any of the fun! Here are some tips I'm using to maintain wellness during travel – you'll find them helpful, too, if you'll be travelling in the months ahead.
- Boost your immune system. When we travel, we're exposed to tons of foreign viruses and germs, especially while flying. Help your immune system keep up by getting plenty of vitamin C, whether in tablet form or by eating citrus fruits. Echinacea is another supplement that is effective in warding off illnesses. Also, green tea is rich and antioxidants– drinking 1 or 2 cups a day can help take some of the stress off your immune system.
- Don’t skimp on rest. There is always so much to see and do when visiting a new place, but be sure to schedule in some sleep. Your body needs plenty of sleep in order for your immune system to function properly. If jet lag is a problem, melatonin is a natural sleep inducer that you can buy in nearly any vitamin aisle.
- Wash your hands! This is the simplest thing you can do to keep from getting sick while travelling. Wash your hands often, especially before and after eating.
- Limit the booze. Overindulging in alcohol severely disables your immune system, not to mention the viruses and germs flying around any given bar. Do your body good and limit yourself to a drink or two when you go out.
- Eat well. I'm at a serious advantage this weekend, as the food provided at Shiftcon is all going to be healthy and fresh – that's definitely not always the case, though! Don't rely solely on restaurants when you travel – hit up the grocery store and load up on produce, nuts and seeds, and other healthy things you can eat with little or no prep.
So you can travel confidently. Learn how to buy luggage, plan your trip, and have fun!
Do you tend to fall ill more easily when you travel?