Dandelions are starting to pop up all over my yard. I welcome the happy little yellow reminders that spring really has sprung and I can put away the snow boots.
I know it's really common to spray dandelions with roundup and be rid of them. I'm going to be putting them to good use instead - there are a bunch of great uses for dandelions!
- Save them for the bees! Honeybees love dandelions. Since bees need all the help they can get these days, leave them your dandelions! We need our pollinators.
- Harvest dandelion root. Dandelion root can be eaten or made into a coffee-like beverage that is great for your kidneys.
- Eat them. The entire dandelion plant is edible and super nutritious. The flowers are delicious in stir-frys or just cooked on their own with a little salt and butter. Early spring leaves are great in salad!
- Make body products. Try lip balm, dandelion salve, or lotion bars.
- Make wine. Yes, dandelion wine! It's delicious and easy.
Whether you're eating them, or using them on your skin - pesticides are not your friend. Don't harvest dandelions anywhere chemicals are sprayed!
Have you ever tried any of these ideas or heard of other uses for dandelions?