“Throw it out and buy a new one” is a pretty accepted concept in our society these days, but fortunately I think that’s changing (slowly but surely) with more and more people trying to be more frugal and/or “green.” Sometimes buying something new is necessary and even more earth friendly than buying used. For example buying a new washer that uses less energy is probably better than buying an old one that sucks up power and water. That’s usually not the case, though. Before making any kind of purchase, whether it’s clothing, household goods or even toys, it’s good to ask yourself a few questions:
- · Do I truly need this item?
- · Do I already have something that could be used to serve this purpose?
- · Could I buy this item used?
- · Could I buy this item handmade?
- · Do my parents (or friends or neighbors) have one of these that they’ve been trying to get rid of?
Leave a Reply